Cell Phone Contract for Kids
Hello beautiful mamas!!
First off, I'd like to briefly introduce myself to those of you who may not know me, my name is Marlen Powery and I will be a contributor to Awake Mama. When Jenny announced that she was looking for contributors for Awake Mama I reached out almost immediately lol. I love the idea behind Awake Mama, a judgment free zone where women and mothers can empower and learn from each other. Alright, so let's get to it!!
As you may have guessed(or not lol), I too, am a mama... I have a beautiful 12 year old daughter that gives me more grey hairs than I care to admit. Recently, I gave my daughter her very own cell phone. Cue the dramatic music, haha! Anyway, my 12 year old child now has a cell phone and with that comes a new door that I am still not ready to open.
Now it's the fear of who is she talking to? Who's texting her? What are they talking about?
I know, I know...I sound like a crazy woman! I think all parents can relate though, right!?
I mean, whether they're 2 years old or 12 years old, they're our babies!! We want to protect them and shelter them from the cruel world we live in. Now realistically speaking, we do live in different times. With so many bad things going on all around us, it is now necessary for our kids to have their own cell phone so in case of any emergency they can reach us immediately.
That being said, I think there are also eminent dangers that come with having a phone. One word: internet. In the age of smartphones there's nothing that a child cannot be exposed to within seconds. It's a pretty unsettling thought, isn't it??
Well, I'd like to share with you something I came across on Pinterest (seriously love Pinterest)...a cell phone contract for kids. You read right, a cell phone contract for kids! What I love about this is that you can customize it to your liking and according to the child's age. From how much time is spent on the phone to maintaining school grades, you the parent, set the rules and boundaries!
Here are some ideas of what to include in your child's phone contract:
• I will always answer when mom or dad call.
• I will return any missed calls immediately.
• I will not give my phone number to strangers.
• I will not text or call anyone past 9:00pm.
• I will not take any inappropriate pictures.
• I will not send anyone pictures of myself.
• I will not take out my phone in class.
• I will not leave my phone lying around anywhere.
• I will give my mom/dad my password (I think this is a good rule to have at least for the tween kids).
• I will not have my phone at the dinner table (parents this one is for you as well).
• If I break my phone I will be responsible for repairing it, even if that means taking my allowance to do so.
• I understand that if I break any part of this contract I will lose my phone immediately.
Like I said, you can customize the contract and add/remove whatever yout want. You know your child best so you know what would work for them and what wouldn't. This phone contract is a great and easy way to not only teach kids to be responsible at any age but also keep them safe!! I think the fact that they really have to sign their name to it will give them a sense of pride and empowerment too!!
Hope this was helpful! Till next time Awake Mamas!!